0161 834 5797     office@manchesterquakers.org.uk

Quakers in Manchester

timeline_pre_loader

Mid 17th Century

Quakers have been meeting in Manchester since the establishment of the Quaker movement in the mid-17th Century.

1673

Originally they met in each other’s homes but in 1673 they purchased a plot of land on the corner of Jackson’s Row and Deansgate.

18th & early 19th Centuries

In the 18th and early 19th centuries Manchester Quakers were prominent in the campaign against the slave trade and also prison reform. Manchester Friends contributed to the local community in a significant way through the provision of adult schools.

1914 - 1918

Manchester Friends have also been active internationally. During the First World War the Emergency Committee, responsible for organising and carrying out international relief, worked with refugees and carried out many peace meetings. After the war young Manchester Quakers were among those who fought the typhus epidemic in Poland.

1920 - 1923

From 1920-23 the Meeting House was used to pack and send relief supplies to Austria, Germany, Poland and Russia and during this period over £20,000 was collected at Mount Street for refugee work.

1930's

In the 1930s during the economic slump, Quakers organised various forms of relief for the unemployed including workshops where unemployed people were given the opportunity of paid work. At this time the Meeting House was also used as a base for helping Jewish refugees from Nazi Germany.

1939 - 1945

This work continued during the Second World War. International relief work continued after the war and Mount Street was used as a collection point for clothes and other items to be sent to other countries in war ravaged Europe.

1994

During 1994 Mount Street was the base from which Women’s Aid for Peace in former Yugoslavia took aid to Bosnia and Herzegovina and Croatia.
Friends Meeting House Manchester